My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Adams: 'Better days ahead' for football program

University of Georgia president Michael Adams said this football season has not been what should be expected, but added that sees “better days ahead” for the program.

Adams was asked at a Thursday news conference for his general view on the state of the football program.

“It’s not been the kind of year that Georgia supporters or the Georgia president expect,” Adams said. “It just reminds us of how tough the league we play in. The Florida game was heart-wrenching to all of us. And I think there are better days ahead. I think we’re gonna be fine in the long run.”

Georgia is 4-5 entering Saturday's game against Idaho State, an FBS (formerly Division I-AA) team. The Bulldogs finish out the season against No. 2 Auburn and rival Georgia Tech.

Adams was also asked about the North Campus tailgating ban for home football games. He said some “adjustments” could be made in the policy, but indicated a lifting of the ban was not on the table.

“I think whatever changes are made are likely to be in the tweaking, rather than in the wholesale change,” Adams said. “The notion that we’re going to go back to that many people on North Campus dumping hot coals and trampling bushes, that kind of thing, I don’t think that anybody wants to go back there. Not the students, not the faculty, not the alumni, from whom I heard in droves last year.

"But sometimes, you know the pendulum might swing a bit too far. And we may need to make some adjustments there.”

10 comments:

Willb said...

Adams could care less about the football program. The traditions, the history....

Anonymous said...

Adams completely banned North Campus tailgating this year so that we'll all THANK him when he institutes a policy next season of purchasing the privilege of North Campus tailgating. What an outcry there would have been had we been required to pay for the right this season. But, one year of no tailgating, we'll all be singing his praises when we get to pay the university for the use of common (public) ground.

Anonymous said...

Anon -

I think the ban was terrible, but what's worse is that UGA's alumni and students brought it on themselves. I can't believe how bad people were trashing North Campus. It was bad when I was there about 10 years ago, but it got out of hand in 2008 and 2009.

Paying for the right to tailgate may actually be the best solution to make sure adults behave like adults.

Chris Sudduth said...

As a student I would love to see things go back to the way they were. There's nothing like spending a Saturday afternooon on historic North Campus with a group of your closest friends. Typicallly, I wouldn't notice anything different on my walk to class Monday compared to the Friday before. I don't know who cleans it up, but I feel with the extra $200 institutional fee each semester they can afford to pick up trash and re-beautify North campus 6 times a year.

Anonymous said...

UGA fans,

Don't ruin tailgating for the rest of us at Auburn next weekend.

We have a good thing going here.

Control your alcohol, use our restrooms and pick up after yourselves.

Thank you.

PTC DAWG said...

I don't blame Adams for making the tailgaters pick up after themselves at our games. Anyone who does, doesn't carry much weight in my book.

To the student who says " I don't know who cleans it up?" are you clueless? Do you know who trashed the place?

Dawgfan17 said...

Dump the hot coals on Adams.

Chris Sudduth said...

All I'm trying to say is that when Adams said, "I don’t think that anybody wants to go back there. Not the students, not the faculty, not the alumni, from whom I heard in droves last year." he was wrong.

Anonymous said...

If better days aren't ahead, I don't think anyone will give a flying you know what about tailgating, doctor.

Anonymous said...

"I think there are better days ahead."

"It’s not been the kind of year that Georgia supporters or the Georgia president expect”

It most certainly cannot get any worse. National Championship in Arrests / Suspensions Fulmer Cup. # 2 standing in Fulmer Cup All-Time dating back to after 2005 season.

2-8 vs Florida CMR Era
3-8 vs Top 10 Final AP Poll teams CMR Era

13-12 vs SEC East last 5 years now

4 "wins" all season against teams with a combined won/ lost record including Idaho State of 11-31.

Auburn being investigated once again for paying Cam Newton's dad $ 200,000 for renovation of the building at his dad's church; apparently, we didn't offer him anything.

But, what I would really like to know is what Michael F. Adam$ means by he thinks there are better days ahead. All indications I see are that at 42-19 the last 5 years now, Coach Richt would not have a clue how to hire a coaching staff.