My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More on Jakar, from afar

Here's my story from this morning on Jakar Hamilton. Please check it out if you get a chance. I'm not one to toot my own horn - mainly because there's never that much to toot - but Hamilton's a good story. (Without my help. And his high school coach has some great quotes.)

I actually covered a few of Hamillton's games in high school, and he stood out as a talent back then - on offense. His high school team, one of the best on its level in South Carolina, didn't like to play guys both ways, so Hamilton only switched to defense in junior college, but even then his coach felt safety was his ultimate destination.

“He’s got great skills,” fellow Georgia safety Baccari Rambo said, in one of the quotes that did not make my story. “He can run, he can tackle, he can catch. He’s a great football player.”

Meantime, Georgia is holding a scrimmage this afternoon. We'll have updates as warranted afterwards, as well as perhaps more word on Branden Smith's status. (The scrimmage is closed to the media.)

I would've weighed in here earlier, but I had to drive to and from Macon to take care of a bit more business. And by the way, would it kill T-Mobile, or anybody, to get some cell phone service between Athens and Macon? Is this just a T-Mobile problem, or does everyone have that issue in that corridor?

Of course it does go to show what a slave to technology we've all become. Without phone service, and with even spotty satellite radio, it was a real boring two hours.

Seriously, what did we ever do in the days of just ... gasp ... terrestrial radio, and maybe some tapes? Did people actually TALK to each other on long rides. (Shudder.)

17 comments:

Andy said...

I have that problem with T-Mobile continually, no matter where it is. Once you're outside of the city limits, bye-bye goes the service.

Don't even get me started about their 3G. . .

Anonymous said...

Verizon is really the only carrier that has service in that area if you are going up through Monticllo

Daniel said...

AT&T has the same problem with cell service in that area. There may be patches in Madison and Monticello where you can get service but that's about it.

Vixcave said...

Generally T-Mobiles service infrastructure is along interstates. Get away from those and ya lose it. Verizon will work best in those areas.

Scott said...

My TMobile works great for me!
I have a feeling Jakar is going to be an integral part of the defensive turn around at UGA.

Left to Right said...

Good article on Jakar. The "plant corn" quote from his high school coach was great.

And Verizon is the only way to go.

Russ for UGA VIII in '010 said...

The only T-Mobile I know about is Tyrod Taylor!

Heath said...

Verizon = Thomas Davis
T-Mobile = Arkansas running back
Skip to 1:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmAy4quJVtw

Let's hope Hamilton is going to "Rule the Air".

Anonymous said...

Braden Smith's status is obvious a week and a day AFTER grades were turned in for the Semester.

Let me get this straight, you took a job in Macon covering Athens from Macon and www.macon.com didn't provide you with a cell phone with service between the 2 cities ?

God Almighty son.

Can you write up a job description for this job for the next guy, after you leave please ?

Seth Emerson said...

Thanks for the pointers. Luckily, I live in Athens and my cell reception there is fine, so hopefully these little trips to Macon will be few and far between. (No offense to Macon.)

Anonymous said...

Branden Smith finds anyone who can play cornerback, back there trying Coach Richt said ?

Hmmm...

I do have a question about all these secondary players making all these interceptions :

Who is throwing them ?

Duh

JRL said...

First guess would be the QB's are throwing them but I could be way off.

opsomath said...

I saw this story this morning, linked from Blutarsky I think. Darn fine article. If this is a representative sample, I think I'm going to enjoy your work here...especially once you learn all the player positions by heart. ;)

It's not fair though, I play the NCAA Football series where they only have the numbers, so you gotta commit them to memory.

Anonymous said...

opsmath- Download a roster. It will have all their names and makes the game even better.

dawg521 said...

As one who's made the drive between Athens and Macon (actually further to Warner Robins) many many times during my 4 years in Athens (and a few more after), that drive becomes a small piece of serenity knowing I'm heading back to Athens...it's a pretty peaceful drive...not much hustle and bustle once you get out of Macon. Anyway, for a change in scenery, try the US-23 to GA-83 route that takes you through Monticello and meets up in Madison at the bypass. A very scenic drive once you get off 23. And because you were asking, AT&T's coverage is pretty spotty on either route as well.

MaconDawg said...

Seth, Verizon is probably your best bet in that area. But if it were me, I'd keep the T-Mobile and go Depeche Mode (enjoy the silence).

Anonymous said...

Go that way at least once a month. 83 to Monticello. Verizon is great. Have one of Verizon's USB Internet connection. 100% except between Vulcan plant and Juliette. Other than that - its really great.