My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Shawn Williams: 'I take that loss myself'

Shawn Williams is accepting blame for Arkansas’ game-winning touchdown on Saturday.

That may be shouldering too much blame, since all Williams could have done was tackle Childs, who still would have been down in field goal position. But that doesn’t appear to matter to Williams.

“I take that loss myself, because I think I should’ve made the tackle,” Williams said after Monday’s practice. “But it is what it is. I can’t look back. I can’t change it. But if I could I would.”

Childs caught the pass at the 25, which would have been in field goal range anyway.
But he cut past Williams and reached the end zone with 15 seconds left.

Childs was asked by media in Fayetteville on Monday if Williams thought Childs was trying to get out of bounds.

“I don’t know what he was thinking. But he was thinking the wrong thing,” Childs said.

Williams was asked about Childs' comment.

“I really couldn’t say,” he said. “It’s not a guessing game. It’s a matter of how you react. I just over-ran it.”

Williams said the Bulldogs were in a zone coverage. Cornerback Sanders Commings was first lined up on Childs, then moved to pick up tight end D.J. Williams, leaving Childs wide open near the sideline.

Asked if another defender could have helped, Williams shook his head.

“It’s just my fault, and I missed the tackle,” he said. “That one’s on me.”

On a better note, Williams said his family has purchased a new home in Early County.

Their previous one burned down in July.

“They’re doing good,” Williams said of his family.

12 comments:

genxdawg said...

This matters because it clearly shows the game (football)and this team means something to Williams. I bet that will smolder and burn in him for a long time, but I believe he will use it to make himself a better player. I really appreciate the young man.

Anonymous said...

Wow - character and honesty. Willing to look in the mirror and work hard and adapt.

Would that our offensive coordinator was doing the same.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the hard work Shawn W. As long as you acknowledge your mistake and look to improve in the future, you are a damn good dawg!

darb said...

There were a lot of missed plays but the second half effort was good to see. There were a lot of empty seats so some fans missed an opprtunity to help out too. Keep working hard Dawgs. It'll come.

the d zone said...

Arkansas is just an all around better team, this game should of come down to the last drive.

Arkansas can very well beat bama this weekend.

Anonymous said...

DAWGCOOP
No one individual loses a game--but
if their was one,
it would be A.J. Green.With him other receivers would be more open,
he would be making All American
catches, and would open the running
game more.We would now be at least
2-1.You used your teammates and us fans, so let us use you--come back
play great,get the ____out of here
to the NFL.Just another discipline
problem that has taken a toll on this team.

Michael said...

Imagine if Mike Bobo took half the responsibility for his actions that Bulldog players do.

If Mike Bobo gave a crap about the Georgia Bulldogs, he'd retire or go back to being a position coach.

Robert K. Burnham said...

Thank you Shawn Williams for manning up. Wish our OC would study the words of Paul Bear Bryant "If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it.That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you "

Anonymous said...

Bobo and Stacy........
Sounds like a TNT Drama to me

Willb said...

This has nothing to do with Shawn Williams but I just watched the uga ark game on my dvr and watched everyone of Aaron murrays sacks and I only saw one that could of been caused by him holding onto the ball too long. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also I was just reading another artile on Ajc and all the user comments were that Aaron Murray should be benched! I hope that's not a common opinion in bulldog nation. He's one of the few bright spots right now. He's this good now as a redshirt freshman Imagine next year! Imagine his senior year! I think we might have something special with this kid. Anyone else agree?

Augusta George said...

This makes Shawn Williams a better player and adds to his character. He makes the team stronger and sets an strong example of responsibility.

Anonymous said...

Hey Augusta George what's your last name? I know a few georges in Augusta here that are huge bulldogs fans just wondering if your one of them,