My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 10, 2010

A.J. jersey-buyer tells his side

Chris Hawkins, whose purchase of A.J. Green’s jersey led to the Georgia receiver’s four-game suspension, claims he never spoke to the NCAA about Green.

Hawkins, a cornerback at North Carolina from 2001-03, also said he is not an agent, and does not work for one. He said he has also never met Green face-to-face.

Green was suspended four games on Wednesday, including one game he already sat, for selling his jersey for $1,000 to Hawkins.

Hawkins said he has spoken to the NCAA about North Carolina players, who are also being investigated. But he said he wasn’t asked about Green.

“I never spoke to the NCAA about AJ,” Hawkins said. “I’m sure he talked to them. And he was honest with them. They never really came to me.”

In announcing Green’s suspension, the NCAA said Green had sold the jersey someone who was defined as an agent.

Hawkins denied any formal association with agents.

“I know a few. But I don’t do anything. I don’t do anything for agents,” Hawkins said.

Hawkins said he met Green through the receiver’s Facebook account, and the two began a conversation. At one point he asked if he could purchase Green’s jersey. But he said he has never met Green in person.

Hawkins said he owns other jerseys, including two NFL players (Marshawn Lynch of the Buffalo Bills and Chris Cooley of the Washington Redskins) and NBA star Chris Paul.

He said he never realized that buying the jersey from Green could cause him trouble with the NCAA.

“It’s his personal jersey. It’s not like they didn’t give it to him. If it was his I-pod I would’ve asked for that,” Hawkins said. “I just hope the NCAA researches it, and sees that I’m not an agent, and reduces his suspension.”

9 comments:

Todd said...

This troubles me even more. In a so-called "investigation" shouldn't you interview all parties involved before handing down the verdict and punishment? Why didn't the NCAA talk to Hawkins? Whoever ran that investigation is an idiot. The NCAA continues to show it's as inept as the government.

Green deserves punishment for breaking the rules but not 4 games. After reading his I feel positive the NCAA will reduce his penalty. I hope I'm not wrong.

IveyLeaguer said...

I agree with Todd.

~~~

Anonymous said...

I agree with IveyLeaguer.

Andy said...

I agree with Anonymous.

David Walker said...

I agree with Andy

Anonymous said...

I agree with David Walker.

Cojones said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Anyone else thinking that Hawkins was wearing Green's Weedeater Bowl jersey when the NCAA rep came to visit?

Scott said...

Why should the NCAA talk with anyone? Don't their rules say that the players are guilty because they said so? Why should the NCAA actually do an investigation? They have too much on their plate investigating North Carolina and wonder how to hurt Reggie Bush after he did what he did to Southern Cal. Bush embarrassed the NCAA and now someone has to pay? Why not A.J. Green? After all, the NCAA just pruned North Carolina, is investigating South Carolina, and Alabama. Need to start making a clean sweep of the south and get Georgia in there!

(If you didn't read this with heavy sarcasm, you are taking yourself too seriously!)