My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Travis Leslie to forego senior year, stay in NBA draft

That didn't take long. A week after announcing he would "test the waters" of the NBA draft, Travis Leslie announced through UGA on Tuesday that he would be staying in the draft. He will not return for his senior year at Georgia.

The decision, along with the same one last week by Trey Thompkins, puts the Bulldog men's basketball team in a bit of a transitional year in 2011-12.

“After talking it over with my family, I have decided that I will forgo my senior year and enter into the NBA Draft,” Leslie said in a statement released by UGA. “I would like to thank UGA for giving me the opportunity, as well as Coach Fox and the staff in helping me to improve my game. Last but not least, I’d like to thank the Georgia fans for their support over the past three years.”

Leslie, a junior, averaged 14.4 points and 7.2 rebounds last year, second to Thompkins on the team in both categories.

The 6-foot-4 Leslie is attractive to NBA scouts because of his athleticism. But he's no guarantee to be a first-round pick. His outside shooting ability is a concern.

“It was my pleasure to coach Travis,” Georgia head coach Mark Fox said in a statement. “It has been a real joy to see him develop as a player the past couple of seasons. He has made a decision to pursue his dream and we wish him nothing but the best.”

10 comments:

Andy said...

I just want to cry.

Suomynona said...

Two Top Tens - surely you jest. Leslie will be lucky to be at the top of round 2.

I do wish him well - just question his wisdom.

Calif Dawg said...

too bad, all we got was one decent team with those two guys. Back to basketball purgetory, hoping for a winning record and a miracle run through the NIT.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I think UGA will be a good team next year. Two senior guards and a five star guy coming in, out back court should be great. Inside is another story.

PTC DAWG said...

Best of luck to you Leslie..

To the negative nellie...more of the SOS from you. You must love living in your Mom's basement.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this season as much as anyone, but any objective observer would have to say we underacheived. One and done in the NCAAs is our hallmark for the season - with two future NBA players- it may be better than our own history, but let's not be irrationally exuberant.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Travis, but not sure it's the wisest move. Is riding the pine for an NBA team the best way to improve his shot, decision-making and ball-handling, which he does need to do a lot? Maybe as a 365/24/7 player I suppose. You can probably chalk this quick decision up to agent$ getting in his ear though. I hope he is close to getting his degree and will come back for it. I most certainly hope he proves me wrong, but he will need it in 2-3 years unless he is ok playing in Developmental League purgatory. Not sure his game translates to the European Leagues either. Just another case of a Bulldog athlete deciding to move on for the $$$ without really leaving a legacy and reaching their potential as one of the greats. Good luck and God bless both Travis and Trey. Coach Fox is gonna have to step it up next year in a big way for us to even be decent.

Anonymous said...

Shorter bandawgon Georgia fans:

Kentavious Who-What? Never hoid of 'em!

MarkS31 said...

Good luck to Travis and Tre. Loved watching them while they were here. Travis is a smart kid and I thought he might stay to improve his stock, but I can't really blame him for going.

It's definitely going to be a different team next year. Lack of height is a concern, but the uptempo pace should at least make it a fun team to watch (Fox prefers coaching that style as well). Too bad several other SEC teams look like they'll be much improved. . .

Aladawg said...

As predicted. Now we'll see if Fox can coach. Talent underachieved this year. Fox needs some heat to perform with lesser talent. No more of Felton's top players