My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

John Jenkins vs. John Jenkins

John Jenkins, one of Georgia's top football recruits, doesn't arrive on campus until May. But Bulldog fans who really want to see a John Jenkins don't have to wait: Vanderbilt's basketball team visits tomorrow, and its John Jenkins happens to be leading the SEC in scoring.

The football-playing Jenkins was aware of his basketball namesake. ("I see his name on Google and Scout.com.") They've never met, but here’s how the two stack up.

(My thanks to Vanderbilt sports information office for speaking to its Jenkins, and to Georgia's Jenkins for answering his phone and humoring me).

Full name
Jenkins, Georgia …. Jonathan Jermaine Jenkins
Jenkins, Vandy …… John Logan Jenkins III

Nicknames
Jenkins, Georgia …. Big John, T.J. (father’s name is Tom)
Jenkins, Vandy …… Johnny J

Height
Jenkins, Georgia … 6-4
Jenkins, Vandy ….. 6-4

Weight
Jenkins, Georgia … 340
Jenkins, Vandy ….. 220

Academic year
Jenkins, Georgia … Sophomore
Jenkins, Vandy ….. Sophomore

Birthdate
Jenkins, Georgia …. July 11, 1989
Jenkins, Vandy …… March 6, 1991

Birthplace
Jenkins, Georgia ….. Stamford, Conn.
Jenkins, Vandy …….Nashville, Tenn.

Favorite color
Jenkins, Georgia ….. None (“I just don’t have one”)
Jenkins, Vandy …….Blue

Favorite TV show
Jenkins, Georgia …. Tie between “Martin” and “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”
Jenkins, Vandy …… “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”

Favorite movie

Jenkins, Georgia ….. “The Expendables”
Jenkins, Vandy …… “Friday”

Inspiration pregame music
Jenkins, Georgia ….. DMX, Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z
Jenkins, Vandy …… Any rap music

Did you ever play the other sport?
Jenkins, Georgia: ”Basketball was my first sport actually. I felt like I had a better future in football.”
Jenkins, Vandy: “Yes, in the 5th grade, I was a linebacker.”

What would he say if he ever met the other John Jenkins?
Jenkins, Georgia: “What’s up, I guess?”
Jenkins, Vandy: “You’ve got a cool name.”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Locka" Flocka...your street cred is gone.

GreenDawg said...

Something tells me that Seth doesn't worry too much about street cred.

Seth Emerson said...

Sorry guys. I was in a bit of a hurry because the polo club was having a special performance of the Brandenburg Concertos, so I neglected to properly look up the names of the rapper gentlemen. I have made the fixes.

DawgFaithfull84 said...

Down period hugh? God I can't wait until spring spractice... or the NCAA tourney if we're lucky.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant installment

Anonymous said...

Great post Seth. lol

Anonymous said...

This is seriously funny! You did make me lol!

King Jericho said...

Seriously, great piece. Love it, Seth.

Anonymous said...

What does it say about the state of television programming that shows that both of them cite as their favorites ended in the mid-90's.

These guys were 5 & 6 years old when Fresh Prince ended its run in 1996. I know they could watch it in syndication while they grew up, but how many people do you know when asked their favorite of any subject pick something from when they were 5 or 6?

Certainly speaks to the dearth of quality programming directed at young African American males.

Bulldawg said...

Silly post Seth.

You mean to tell me there was nothing UGA sports related to report on? Nothing?

Instead you give us something that has absolutely no relevance to anything. Just plain silly.

Michael said...

Great post. The John Jenkins comparison was great.

Can you help me understand how the Vandy Jenkins was born 2 years later and yet they are in the same class?