My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Coaching Decision Coming Soon

The rumors surrounding key coaching jobs around the country are spinning at a pretty frenetic pace right now.

John Calipari looks like he's headed to Kentucky.

That makes Mike Anderson a prime candidate at Memphis.

Anderson may or may not be talking to Georgia, too, but Missouri has not confirmed contact at this point, and Damon Evans certainly isn't talking.

A Memphis TV station is reporting that Mike Anderson's agent met with Damon Evans in Atlanta today, but I have been told by people at UGA that was a false report and that Evans was on campus nearly all day today.

A source in Missouri thinks Anderson is staying put, and Jason Whitlock seems to agree.

Dean Legge at Scout reports that officials at Oklahoma, Xavier and Florida State have all taken a "no comment" approach on any contact that Georgia may have had.

Here's what I do know --- something with Georgia will happen soon. Some of my readers in UGA's band have reported that the athletics department has already requested their presence to perform at a press conference within the next week. That's a timetable that I have confirmed through various sources, including some within the athletics department at Georgia.

The other rumors... well, until they can be classified as something more than that, I'm not going to print them. I will say, however, that there is at least one name out there that I'm fairly certain has gotten attention from UGA that isn't Jeff Capel or Mike Anderson.

Stay tuned...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

god i hope we didn't hire billy clyde instead of anderson.

David Hale said...

It's not Billy Clyde.

JM said...

Thank goodness its not Gillespie. As a Dawg fan in Kentucky I would hate my life if we got that drunkard.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty worried about hearing this "Florida State" info.

Anonymous said...

Based on the scout report, I'd hope it's more Sean Miller or Other and less Leonard Hamilton.

JM said...

How much money are we talking about throwing around?

UK is believed to be offering 4 million a year for Calipari. Pretty ridiculous.

Are we talking being able to offer 2-2.5 million?

David Hale said...

I honestly don't know that. I have heard nothing on actual dollars other than that Damon is willing to spend enough to get a good coach. Even 1.5 mill would double Anderson's current salary at Missou.

Anonymous said...

As to the unmentioned rumored name: If Syracuse were hiring to replace Boeheim, and this name were mentioned, would it elicit feelings of fear, joy, or ambivalence?

David Hale said...

Well, the Cuse and Georgia programs are sort of apples and oranges, so he might not be my first choice there (not to mentioned Boeheim has already tagged Mike Hopkins as the next Cuse coach). But it's a guy who has almost all of what UGA says it wants in a coach and if it happens I don't think it's anything UGA fans should be upset about. Now, will they be upset? Hey, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

Anonymous said...

Lon Kruger or Tim Floyd wouldn't thrill me, but I'd take them . If we end up getting Haith, Hamilton, Gaudio, or Seth Greenberg (probably throwing him under the bus a bit for losing to Felton), I'd wonder if we had a clue. I'd also wonder why we didn't go after Scott Drew, Brad Stevens, Reggie Theus and Sam Mitchell if it came to that.

rbubp said...

I will be happy with almost anyone who has an established winning track record, with consistent NCAA trips, that is also not named Robert Montgomery Knight.

Anonymous said...

If he was the hire for Syracuse, would you be pleased or not? That's the question. Pretend that Georgia doesn't exist. I am getting the feeling, your trying not to say he kinda sucks, but he'd be okay for Georgia. Which is to say, he sucks.

Anyhow, we should probably drop it.

Hopefully, it'll be one of the names talked about or at least someone with some upside. I don't see why we'd go after a guy that is nothing more than an average coach with experience.

That is what I am expecting at this point. And that is not change I can believe in.

Anonymous said...

you're, dang it.

David Hale said...

I think he definitely has some upside, and while he certainly wouldn't be my first choice at Cuse, I could probably talk myself into being pretty excited about him. At this point though, I'm not convinced he's even Georgia's top option. Hoping to have a lot more info tomorrow.