My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring primer: Caleb King

It was only one practice before a 12-day break, but it felt good for Caleb King to be back in uniform.

“For me especially, it had been awhile. Too long,” King said after last Thursday’s opening of Georgia football spring practice. “It was good to go out there and be out with the team again, work hard, sweat and run some plays.”

There were a lot of people who thought King may not be back out there. The tailback had a rough junior season, being suspended two games following an arrest on traffic charges. His late fumble probably cost the Bulldogs a win at Colorado. And he didn’t even make the Liberty Bowl trip after being ruled academically eligible.

But King said his academics are in order and cheerfully spoke last week about finishing his college career the right way.

That includes mentoring the star incoming recruit, Isaiah Crowell, who many expect to start at King’s position.

King said that when Crowell committed in February, he shot the Columbus standout a couple text messages, offering his congratulations.

“I said get ready to work, because that’s what we do at Georgia,” King said. “And he said OK.”

But what was it like watching Crowell get all the attention during the recruiting process, and be seen as the savior of the team’s running game?

“I know when I first came in ’07 it was similar to what I experienced,” said King, who was rated the top recruit in the state by Rivals.com. “So I understand what he’s going through, I understand what’s happening right now. Of course – I’m not gonna say boost it up, because he’s probably gonna come in here and be a great player. But I think it’s more for the fans, so they can get excited for next season.

“But he’s still gotta come in here and work hard. Because I know the rest of us are working hard. Me, Carlton Thomas, Washaun Ealey, Ken Malcome, I know we’re all working hard, busting our tails. Once he comes in he’s gonna do the same thing; I’m gonna try and lead him and get him under my wings and go from there.”

King, Ealey and company still have time to hold off Crowell. More likely, they’re auditioning this spring to see who can share carries with the freshman.

For his part, King said he’s gained six pounds, up to 223, thanks to the team’s new offseason workout program.

“Fifth year senior, that’s crazy. I never thought I’d be here this long,” King said. “I’m motivated. I’m focused. Because it’s my last year. One and done.”

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

CK4 went to GAC, not Norcross High School as you reported.

Went to Parkview prior to GAC but never attended Norcross.

Anonymous said...

Folks have been down on Caleb, and rightly so given the events of the past season. But he's got a shot at redemption, and who among us wouldn't want a chance? Caleb is our best blocking option in the passing game, and can run the ball. He's got to protect the ball when he gets his opportunities. I'm behind this kid...and hopefully the events of the past several months has focused him. You can never have enough depth at running back.

Anonymous said...

I know its not a basketball post... but I was in 4th grade when we were last in the sweet 16... and heartbreak. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy7mWSuv4SY&feature=related

Anonymous said...

Caleb actually had a great game at Colorado. He ran for 100 yards on only 12 carries. And he busted a 30+ run. Fumbles happen, so do interceptions, part of the game, but the effort was there. King led the team in yards per carry average at 5.4, but only scored 2x on 80 carries, need to score every 15-20 carries, not every 40 carries. Georgia picked King to mentor Crowell so Crowell can learn to passblock. Like to see King have a big year, he can, if he decides to.

Anonymous said...

King plays great when he's confident. Like to see his swag in 2011'

Check his video, dude has game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE4tmyw-Sag

RussDawg said...

Caleb, please don't take Crowell under your wing! Crowell doesn't need to pcik up any of the habits we have seen you display at UGA. We need you as far away from Crowell as possible.

RussDawg said...

Sorry "pick" not pcik.

Clement McStunnah said...

King weighs 223 like I run a 3.9 40-Yard dash. Hell, he never weighed 217 to begin with.

Per ESPN:
Marcus Lattimore is listed at 6'0" 217
Micheal Dyer is listed as 5'9" 215
Caleb King is listed at 5'11" 217

Does anyone believe this? I can't stand that the athletic department tolerates, and the strength and conditioning group propogates bald-faced lies like this. Why would fans care what they're told in February/March every year when the Fall produces such a transparent rebuttal to all these bogus numbers.

Still waiting for Cornelius Washington's 4.38 40, or Vance Cuff's 4.29.

I wish we could shut S&T up til kickoff at the Dome.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Yeah Yeah.... same crap weve heard for the past couple of years. "We are working hard ,busting our tails and staying focused". Prove me wrong and prove it on the football field.

Anonymous said...

From a few players... They've said they may not be better this year, but they know for sure they'll be stronger. T is making his presence known.

VAdawg said...

Anon 10:09, I remember that came all too well. I believe I was in 3rd grade. I remember just trying to get my older brother to explain what just happened... I was in shock. Great game though.

Anonymous said...

Yep "One and Done" says it all.

Bulldawg said...

Seth-

I don't usually correct, but this one is material...should read "ruled INeligible", not eligible.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Anonymous said...

does the idea of king taking crowell "under his wing" make anyone else a tad bit uneasy?

emilyg007 said...

i feel like i get sucked back in ever year , i just want rhem to start playing good and will some ball games