My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bubbly blogging: Wednesday update

So far the bubble has been kind to Georgia and other at-large hopefuls. Butler won the Horizon League championship on Tuesday night, following up Old Dominion's win of the CAA on Monday. That prevented at least two bid-stealers.

Yes, Marquette did win its first-round Big East tournament game, and had the Eagles lost it would have been helped the bubble teams. But Marquette is the likely 11th team from the Big East anyway. If it beats West Virginia today, Marquette is almost certainly in, but if it loses it's still got a good chance.

The Big 12 tournament tips off today, and that's what bears watching: Nebraska, Colorado and Baylor are all on the bubble, and in that order they play today, starting at 12:30 p.m. Every time one of them loses, you might say an at-large candidate goes away - or, at a minimum, falls behind Georgia in the pecking order.

I still think Georgia's chances are good as long as it beats Auburn ... and there aren't a string of upsets and long tournament runs that suddenly makes the quality of the at-large candidates stronger.

This is a point I've made (perhaps too strenuously) on Twitter the past few days: It's simply inaccurate to say the Georgia-Alabama game (if it happens) is a play-in game for the NCAAs, or that Georgia is definitely in if it beats Auburn. Either of those could end up being true, but not necessarily. You have to watch the rest of the field come together, and today that means watching the Big 12.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth-

Later, you'll figure it out, Georgia fans are interested in football, not gymnastics or baseball or basketball.

Anonymous said...

anon,

speak for yourself.

Anonymous said...

the number of comments don't lie.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm not a Georgia fan because I keep up with the basketball team. Oh wait, I actually graduated from UGA, which I'm guessing you didn't

Michael said...

I am interested in football about 10 times more than all the other sports, but when there is no serious football news I am indeed very interested in basketball, gymnastics, etc.

Thanks Seth!

Seth Emerson said...

Thanks Michael, you sum it up well. I get the daily web stat hits, so I know how much more football interest there is, believe me. And there will plenty of spring football practice coverage. I just filed a preview of that a few minutes ago.

But for the moment, the basketball team is still playing games that matter, so I'm gonna cover that too.

Doug said...

I'm not a big basketball fan, but I like the info. Thanks Blogman.

PTC DAWG said...

Keep it up...love the BBALL posts.

I still think a win over AU and the Dawgs are a LOCK.

Bama on the other hand, needs the finals of the SECT to get in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the coverage Seth, I'm just excited we are even looking at the possibility of making the tourney! Go Dawgs!

MoGA said...

It's simple- we've not been interested in basketball in the past because our team just plain sucked. Now that we have a team that competes, I think the interest is only going to increase. I think there's a general feeling around UGA basketball that we have a brighter future. Personally, I'm excited about that!

Mikey said...

Um, that's MR. Blogman, Doug.

...and I definitely enjoy all UGA athletics coverage.

BulldogBen said...

Well, Cornhuskers go down.

So far so good.

I remain steadfast in my belief that if UGA wins, the winner of the Bama/UGA game is a lock and the loser will have a 50/50 shot.

Advice: Don't be the loser

Anonymous said...

Seth-

Will you be reporting a lot on sports like swimming, wrestling, and archery too?

I know from tv viewership anything but football has a tiny following in Georgia, but I was just curious to how you decide which sports to blog about?

Josh said...

Anon 6:21:

What a sad life you must lead

VAdawg said...

Not going to lie... I care just as much about Georgia hoops as I do Georgia football. And I care about football a lot. The program is on the cusp, and we could be something special with Fox at the helm.

Nebraksa losing was nice, but Marquette winning is not good. But when it comes down to it, the first step and key to any tournament hope is beating the tar out of the barn tomorrow. Let's get it done.

Anonymous said...

The women's swim team has been killing it this year. Not sure how you can disparage a group that brings positive attention to the university.