My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Links (6/25)

Here's something that should get you feeling pretty good on a Friday: We are a mere 35 days away from players reporting for fall camp.

UGA released some tentative practice dates today, with players set to report on July 30. The 31st will be the first day of practice.

Although those dates aren't 100 percent finalized yet, it's interesting to note that they'll open practice on a Saturday. You'll remember in 2008, Mark Richt lamenting that he gave his guys one last weekend off -- and they ended up getting in a boatload of trouble because of it. Still, 2009 opened on a Monday, too, but this season it looks as if Richt and the Bulldogs will be getting an early start.

The annual fan picture day is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 21 -- which might be your lone chance to get your photo taken with "Russ," who will be filling the Uga role that day.

***

Couple of updates on my impending Athens departure:

-- First off, thanks so much to all of you who have commented, emailed, Facebooked, etc. It's been utterly overwhelming to hear so many positive comments. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Plus, I think it's been enough to convince my fiance that I'm a catch, despite the fact that she could do much better. So many thanks.

-- And thanks for the Athens farewell tour suggestions, too. I've hit 5 & 10, Casa Mia and, of course, Weaver D's already this week. I force fed myself some Peach Cobbler at Weaver D's, but it was completely worth it.

OK, how about a handful of links to wrap up the week...

-- Georgia got commitment No. 13 yesterday from the brother of current Bulldog Austin Long.

-- The fate of Georgia's biggest commitment thus far remains in limbo as an announcement regarding Christian LeMay looks like it will be delayed a bit.

-- The Chapel Bell has five "unexpected" players capable of a big breakthrough this year. I think UGA needs to hope for some good production from the first two, but if the Dawgs get anything this year out of the latter three, they'll be in good shape.

-- I expect big things from Caleb King and Washaun Ealey, too, but this might be a hefty comparison to heap on them right now.

-- Marc Weiszer writes that Gerald Robinson is getting excited for his shot in the SEC.

-- The Golden Nugget has some early betting lines on some of the bigger college football games this season. It's UGA lines for Arkansas (Dawgs -3), Florida (Dawgs +6), Tennessee (Dawgs -7), Auburn (Dawgs +3) and Tech (Dawgs -4) are pretty close to what my preseason projections were.

-- Barbara Dooley is utterly frustrating her son.

-- Alan Sepinwall has an interesting interview with Adam Scott, who is leaving "Party Down" for "Parks and Recreation" -- two of my favorite shows.

-- This article investigates whether "The Daily Show" has something against hiring women. It's a fascinating behind-the-scenes look into the show that viewers don't usually get.

-- A woman in China found a spud that looks like Homer Simpson. Po-ta-d'oh!

-- By and large I really like this list of the 77 most unforgettable songs from movies. I only have three real complaints:

* There was nothing unforgettable about the movie "Daredevil." That movie is completely forgotten.

* I agree with the mention of "Oh Yeah" in "The Secret of My Success" but have one complaint. I just watched that movie the other day for the first time in at least a decade. It was terrible. I much prefer the song's use in "Ferris Buehler" (or probably any number of about 50 other '80s films).

* Screw Chad Kroeger. Nickelback sucks. And keep in mind, UGA has had back-to-back disappointing seasons since switching the pregame music to Nickelback.

-- And finally, I can only hope someone puts together a tribute for me the same way this Toronto fan did when Roy Halladay bolted for Philly.

11 comments:

EmotionalFescue said...

Dave - This blog was awesome and I wish you nothing but success in future endeavors. Drop us Dawgs a line once in a while on The DawgPost!

Lee said...

Hey did you see the farewell that T.Kyle King gave you at DawgSports?

Taylor said...

Just curious...I know you've said before that you weren't really a fan of UGA since you were covering them and needed to remain unbiased. (Which is the right thing to do) I was wondering, now that you'll be gone, will you keep up with UGA football (and / or other sports) or will it become just an old job and a memory?

Thanks for all your work.

Kathleen said...

Lee thanks for the tip for the DawgSports story! I never thought of David Hale as a jinx, but I'll take it. It's much less sad that way!

And Hale, I'm sure with you all the way in Delaware and safely out of Athens, we'll chip in and buy you a ticket for the SEC championship that is undoubtedly our destiny with the jinx gone.

=)

Anonymous said...

David, thanks for all of the hard work. I have spent countless hours reading your blogs. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Dave, you forgot to mention in your "Telegraph" article that not only will Trinton improve the line but he's also the teams "Best Dancer"!

Anonymous said...

Obviously, Aaron Murray's ability to produce should be as high as anyone else on the list. I think he'll do all right if not spectacular in his first year. I'm more worried about him staying healthy.

The article point out five key players for next year, but perhaps what is key is their positions. We do need players to step up at WR to take the heat off of Green- maybe it's Durham or maybe TKing.

Our DL is also a concern at all positions. Hopefully, Dobbs can be consistent, same goes for A Jones and Tyson. We need some depth as well. If Bean doesn't show a lot, we'll need it from K Tripp or K Geathers. All of these have potential- I hope they put it together.

Obviously, OLB is a concern as well because of depth concerns. Hopefully, we'll have some backups step up and show they are ready to play.

Lakatos seems confident in our secondary, and I think we have some depth here. It would be nice to J Hamilton or A Ogletree compete for time. I'd love to Vance put it all together this year so Boykin and BSmith can make some plays.

The biggest question for me though is not particular players, but how our D adjusts to the new scheme as a team. Is Grantham speaking a language that can be effectively grasped and applied at the college level? Have the players had enough time to make the proper reads for themselves but also respective to what their teammates are doing.

Anonymous said...

Is anyone taking bets at those lines?

ChicagoDawg said...

David -- I have been out of the country on work travel all week. I gotta tell you, this BLOWS!!!

You're dead to me.

Seriously, I could not be more happy for you. In the ever shrinking world that you find yourself in (newspaper journalism), I couldn't think of a more deserving writer to get a rare break. It is clear that you have a passion for what you do and I hope this new gig provides all of the experiences and opportunities you seek. Your work has been without peer on the UGA beat. Good luck my friend and well deserved!

Also, congrats on the marriage.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Chicagodawd. Well said.

Muckbeast said...

You will be sorely missed David.

Thanks for your hard work the last 2 years.