My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday Quick Links (2/28)

This will be the only post for today, but here are a handful of links to tide you over for the weekend...

-- First off, in keeping with the tradition of the past two days, I've got to wish a happy birthday to my dad, who no doubt will celebrate by doing some maintenance on the house or possibly washing the cars. Although I'm sure there will be a dinner at a Mexican restaurant mixed in there somewhere.

-- Who wants to set the over/under on how many more times we'll see this story in the next 10 years: Quincy Carter was arrested Friday and charged with DUI and possession of marijuana.

-- Georgia's assistant coaches got a bump in pay. While Searels, Bobo and Garner got a measurable increase, none are making Monte Kiffin money, nor should they expect to in the near future. While a few other schools -- like UT -- have increased pay for assistants, Damon Evans doesn't seem too concerned with following the trend.

"We want to keep up with the marketplace. Three institutions don't setthe marketplace from my standpoint. They have to do what they feel isappropriate for them, but what I like to do is look at the big pictureand see where everyone is big picture and ask, where is Georgia in thatmarketplace: Lower, middle or upper? Wherever we are, do we feelcomfortable with where we are? That's the question I have to answerevery day. I tend to believe that we have kept our coaches in a goodposition in the marketplace." -- Damon Evans, from our interview earlier this month.

-- Georgia baseball got off to a strong start for their weekend series in Arizona.

-- According to the AJC, Georgia has made an offer to Joe Montana's son for 2010.

-- The Red & Black had a good story on Friday about a Georgia gymnast who might be the Gym Dogs' answer to Tim Tebow.

-- Malcolm David Kelly, who plays Walt on "Lost" says he'd like to return to the show full time. I hope he does because, given all the time they spent developing his character in Season 1, it would be a shame to leave that story as a dead end.

-- I linked yesterday to a story by Jim Sheeler from the Rocky Mountain News, which I'm hoping many of you took the time to read. Yesterday, he posted a column discussing the demise of his newspaper and the legacy it will leave behind. I'd suggest adding this to your weekend reading list, too.

I also had two items I meant to link to yesterday, but forgot...

-- Here's a run down, with full video, of the 20 strangest celebrity interviews of all time. If I worked in an office, this might be exactly the type of thing I'd waste my entire Monday morning looking at.

-- And finally, this story happened to catch my eye on Thursday: Texas retired the jersey of Kevin Durant, who played just one season in Austin and didn't even lead the Longhorns to the Final Four.

First off, I'll say that Texas supposedly has a tradition that if someone wins national player of the year honors, he automatically gets his jersey retired. OK, that's fine. But I have trouble getting behind the idea of hanging a jersey in the rafters of a player who didn't a.) win or b.) come close to graduating.

Of course, the obvious name that popped into my head after reading this was Matthew Stafford. Like Durant, he came to school with big expectations, managed to take Georgia to its highest end-of-season ranking in nearly 20 years and helped the Dawgs land a preseason No. 1 for the first time ever. He etched his name pretty high up on the Dawgs' career and single-season passing records and he won a bunch of games.

In the end, however, he never won the big one, and he didn't stick around for four years. So... would you ever consider retiring Stafford's jersey?

And continuing on that train of thought... only four Bulldogs have ever had their jersey retired, and none since Herschel Walker.

So, who else do you think should have their jersey number forever hanging above the field rather than being worn on it? David Greene? David Pollack? Hines Ward? Let's hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Pollack's 47 needs to be retired officially... I don't know if anyone has worn it since he graduated though.

Anonymous said...

I believe 47 has been worn by a few players since Pollack graduated.

I don't see any reasaon why Stafford's number should be retired.

The retiring of jersey numbers should be reserved for Heisman Trophy winners and legends at UGA.

Stafford is neither. He was a great QB, but he's not a legend.

Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I would retire Pollack, Green and Ward.

Ward not for as much as what he did at GA but what he has done since should add to that legacy and push him over the top.

Stafford, no because he did not win the SEC nor did beat Greens records, nor did he graduate.

Anonymous said...

They should retire David Pollack's #47, absolutely! For the national defensive awards he won, and being a three time All American. Also the class act he was and the way he represented UGA. He is a legend!