My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Georgia's Houts, Robinson Taken in WNBA Draft

From UGA release...

Ashley Houts and Angel Robinson, teammates and roommates for the Georgia Lady Bulldogs over the past four seasons, enjoyed hearing their names called in the WNBA Draft on Thursday. Well, at least Houts did.

Houts was at a restaurant watching with her parents, Greg and Joni, and brother, Andrew, when she was taken in the second round with the No. 16 overall pick by the New York Liberty.

Four slots later, Robinson was the No. 20 player tabbed by the Los Angeles Sparks.

A fifth-year senior who is pursuing a master's degree in Adult Education, Robinson was working on a paper in a study room in her dorm when she was notified she had been picked, via a text message from Houts.

"I sent her 'congratulations' and she replied 'on what,'" Houts said.

With their selections, a dozen Lady Bulldogs have been chosen in the last 10 editions of the WNBA Draft, including eight first-rounders. Twenty-one Georgia players have gone on to play in the league since its inception in 1997, including eight during the 2009 campaign.

Houts, a 5-6, guard from Trenton, Ga., was a four-year starter for the Lady Bulldogs and also won Gold Medals representing the U.S. at the 2007 U21 World Championships and the 2009 World University Games. She broke the school record for career minutes played and finished No. 14 among Georgia's career scoring leaders with 1,514 points. Houts also ranks No. 3 all-time for the Lady Bulldogs in games played, games started, assists, steals and free throws made.

"I was pretty relieved when they called my name," Houts said. "It's something I've been working for for a long time. To be honest, I don't think it's really hit me yet. To get drafted is great, but what matters the most is to get to training camp. I'm excited about the weeks ahead and looking forward to getting up there, working hard and seeing what I've got to do."

Robinson, a 6-5, forward from Marietta, Ga., became the first Georgia player in two decades to lead the Southeastern Conference in rebounding as a junior. She was a first-team All-SEC pick in the pre-season but was hindered by head and foot injuries during 2009-10. Robinson completed her career ranked No. 25 among the Lady Bulldogs' career scoring leaders with 1,188 points, as well as No. 5 in rebounds and No. 4 in blocked shots.

"I'm very excited," Robinson said. "I'm just enjoying every minute of it. I'm proud for Ashley. My phone has been ringing off the hook. All my friends...If I don't return your call, it's because I have to charge up the battery on my phone. I looking forward to seeing what Ashley and I can do at the professional level. We've learned a lot from Coach Landers during our time at the University of Georgia, and I'm excited about the chance to use that knowledge at the professional level."

1 comment:

The Watch Dawg said...

God bless you Hale.... if anybody ever gives a crap about women's basketball... we can sleep easy knowing that you'll have it covered.


(not a shot at you)