My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday Links (10/8)

Before we get into the links, I did want to clear up something that was debated a bit yesterday.

I posted some numbers that compared Georgia's recruiting rankings during the past few years with its current status in the polls. I thought it was information worth sharing. But I want to be perfectly clear here: I am in no way whatsoever advocating that those numbers mean Mark Richt needs to be fired.

I'd urge anyone who is unsure about that to read this post I wrote over the summer. I promise, I haven't changed my mind on the issue any.

OK, now to some other readings...

-- I wrote a story last season looking at Georgia's huge uptick in penalties following the '07 Celebration but I was curious how those numbers might look today. Luckily Dean Legge at Scout was one step ahead of me and crunched the numbers himself.

-- There was a good bit of consternation about Mark Richt's comments on the special teams yesterday, but Rex Robinson, who knows Blair Walsh well, is downright angry about it. (h/t Jeff H.)

-- Chris Low is among the ESPNers who think Tennessee comes out with a victory this week.

-- Catfish & Cornbread have some serious questions about what's going on with the Georgia football team. I'll see what I can do about tracking down a few answers.

-- You know, I try to do a little research that helps out the Bulldogs faithful and now look... it gets into the wrong hands! As if Syracuse didn't have enough problems, apparently my work is food for thought for Big East rival South Florida now.

-- A late-season slump by the White Sox could keep Gordon Beckham from winning the AL Rookie of the Year award.

-- The SEC will be a part of the Gator Bowl starting next season and Georgia Sports Blog looks at some of the other bowl changes.

-- Rocky Top Talk takes the time to list Georgia's record of atrocities committed against Tennessee. It's a good read.

-- Vols in the Fall takes a closer look at the Georgia-Tennessee rivalry over the years.

-- With all the talk of UGA and Georgia Tech opening at the Dome in 2011, Bubba N Earl smelled a rat -- or a dragon, as the case may be.

(Side note, the B&E theory reminded me of this...









"Ah, that should provide adequate sustenance for the Dr. Who marathon.")

-- OK, here's a lot of entertainment for your dollar -- First, an Alabama student posts a video ragging on Ole Miss about the upcoming game. Then an Ole Miss student responds with his own video. And finally, the news report about threats against the Alabama student's life. Ah, good times. (h/t Andrew C.)

-- Holy crud I am angry I wasn't there for this -- Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell joined Pearl Jam on stage in L.A. this week for an impromptu Temple of the Dog reunion and played "Hunger Strike." Ah, the '90s. It was a simpler time.

-- We're just three weeks away from new episodes of "Friday Night Lights" and Sporting News takes a look behind the scenes of the upcoming season.

-- And finally, with the Jim & Pam wedding set for tonight on "The Office," the Chicago Tribune looks back at some of the highlights of the relationship.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=20010103&CC=EP&NR=1064848A1&KC=A1

In case you were looking for a late addition to the links.

Anonymous said...

http://tinylink.com/?usASSaInwF

Peter said...

I'm goin hungraay... I'm goin hungraaay.
Thanks D, now I've got that stuck in my head. Off to download.

Anonymous said...

Hey david...seeing as how you are a movie buff..particularly a bad movie buff, do you think the Bama fan in that you tube clip is more reminiscent of Crew Jone's arch nemsis Bart Conner in the 80s classic Rad (a movie well ahead of its time...this movie paved the way for X-Games). Or, do you think he is more similar to Daniel son's rival foe Jonny Lawrence in the other 80s classic, Karate Kid? Either way, this gives me good reason to hate Bama and also hope that Ole Miss shows Bama No Mercy and Sweep the Leg on those fools.

Muckbeast said...

My favorite all time UGA vs. Utk memory:

October 8, 2005: No. 5 Georgia 27, No. 8 Tennessee 14.

Play By Play Chart from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=252812633&quarter=4

Score: UGA 20 – Tenn 7

Georgia on GA 27, 6:16 to go.

1st and 10 at GA 27 Thomas Brown rush for 4 yards to the UGA 31.
2nd and 6 at GA 31 Thomas Brown rush for 10 yards to the UGA 41. 1ST down.
1st and 10 at GA 41 Thomas Brown rush for 5 yards to the UGA 46.
2nd and 5 at GA 46 Thomas Brown rush for 6 yards to the Tenn 48. 1ST down.
1st and 10 at TENN 48 Thomas Brown rush for 7 yards to the Tenn 41.
2nd and 3 at TENN 41 Thomas Brown rush for 7 yards to the Tenn 34. 1ST down.
1st and 10 at TENN 34 Thomas Brown rush for 16 yards to the Tenn 18.1ST down.
1st and 10 at TENN 18 Thomas Brown rush for no gain to the Tenn 18.
2nd and 10 at TENN 18 Timeout TENNESSEE, clock 01:52.
2nd and 10 at TENN 18 Thomas Brown rush for 18 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

Score: UGA 26 – Tenn 7
Brandon Coutu extra point GOOD.
Score: UGA 27 – Tenn 7

That’s right. Every single play was a Thomas Brown run. There was never even a third down.

Touchdown.

The most devastating single drive I’ve ever seen in college football.

Silver Dawg said...

Sir David, I in no way took your comment as a missle toward CMR.

But, the numbers of that blog add up conclusively to one result: the wealth of talent that is assembled in Athens (credit to the staff for a tremendous job in that year after year) is being undercoached.

That seems to be grossly apparent.

David Hale said...

Anon -- There's definitely some Bart Conner in there, but he's got Cobra Kai written all over him. He should have done the video in one of those skeleton costumes.

By the way, I really like your car, Mrs. Larusso.

Unknown said...

Anybody know when C. King got his concussion?

I wonder if it happened right about the time Ealey emerged (if there is a correlation, I wonder further if we would have seen Ealey at all without King catching the helmet spear with his jaw).

Anonymous said...

Hey Terrance. Love your blog!

David Hale said...

King's concussion came after Ealey saw action. And I have it from numerous sources that the coaches really did tell Ealey earlier in the week he was likely to play.

I'm confused by the Terrance thing... am I being compared to Terrance Moore here? Did I stick up for Dennis Felton somewhere I'm not aware of? Or Terrance Trent D'Arby? I liked that Wishing Well song.

Funemployed said...

totally cobra chi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnvXpLOzKeQ