My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Foster Isn't Headed to UGA

Obviously a lot was made of the talk that Mark Richt (or someone at Georgia) had contacted Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Sure, it would have been a nice hire.

But courtesy of the Washington Post, here's what Foster had to say about things:

"Coach Beamer has been extremely good to me," Foster said. "I want to ride this thing out with him. We’ve been doing this along time together and there’s not reason to stop there, and let’s finish this thing. It’s a good deal all the way around. I’m extremely pleased."

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it now: Georgia is a big-time gig, and while there are coaches out there who are very interested in getting the job, there are plenty more who know it's a fantastic bargaining chip to getting a raise at their current one. Indulge in any rumors at your own risk.

I will add this though: The best and most important line in the story is, "but Georgia made the most serious overture." Considering the names we're talking about here -- Kirby Smart, Foster -- and the level of seriousness to which Georgia is apparently approaching those candidates, fans should be confident Richt is aiming high and Damon is willing to back up those aspirations with a significant investment financially.

10 comments:

watcher16 said...

bummer

Anonymous said...

Foster said he would want to become a head coach if the right opportunity came up, preferring to land at a Bowl Championship Series school. But on Monday, he said taking a coaching job elsewhere would “be hard to do right now, unless they’re going to come up with a lot of money.”

I'm pretty sure we can do that.

Anonymous said...

I am glad this particular rumor was stuffed relatively quickly. I really don't like it when it appears as if candidates are turning the position down, not good for recruiting. As much as I don't enjoy no news, I prefer that to what went on today. Of course it doesn't really matter what I prefer...

Kathleen said...

I agree it's good that Georgia did make a serious move. Good news. I'm relieved there's no tiptoeing...

The Watch Dawg said...

I thought the same thing upon reading that, David. The fact that we made "the most serious overture," and FSU and Florida were also coming after him.... means a lot. It means that Richt and Evans aren't going to be bested by Florida in this hire.

Anonymous said...

We kicked this guy and his team's ass and Bama kicked their ass. So why woudl we want him as a DC. He coaches in the ACC and has a hard time. We need a Saban JR or soemone like Monte to be our DC. Any thing less is a waste of time and just moving the chairs on the deck around. Hire us a special teams coach and we will be impressed.

Anonymous said...

If richt amd evans are making a large financial investment we would already have either smart or foster. They are bargin hunting and it's not working. Best thing richt could do I'd have smart name his price ($600k) and have a handshake agreement in place to sign after the texas game. richt and evans are going about it all wrong.

Andy said...

Anonymous @ 11:46-
I completely disagree. This shows that we are going after the top candidates in the country. If you are bargain shopping, you wouldn't even be talking to people like Smart or Foster. If they are turning us down it is because they don't want to leave their job. They seem ready to throw money around, but that doesn't mean we get our first pick for DC.

I like what I am seeing from the search so far. I'm sure we will get a quality DC, even if it isn't a guy name Smart or Foster.

How many of us knew who Van Gorder was 9 years ago?

Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

@Andy:

The three jobs VanGorder held before coming to Athens were the DC positions at Central Michigan, Central Florida, and Western Illinois, which is a DI-AA school, so you're right on target. Which means we should all be confident that Richt and Evans will hire the right guy -- even if we don't get a guy whose name is as well-known right now as Foster's or Smart's, Richt has demonstrated a talent for finding "diamonds in the rough," so to speak.

Joeski said...

Still think that the fact that Foster was even approached is a demonstration of the seriousness with which both men in charge are taking the search.
This is a good thing. This is an attitude that anything less than the SEC Crown is not enough for Bulldog nation, and I am firmly of the belief that with the talent we have in house, we can be competitive towards that goal next year.

And I don't know about you guys, but I still haven't seen Smart explicitly say the words "I am not taking a job at the University of Georgia." And frankly, if I were him, I wouldn't. No need to, given that it could only cause a distraction and negative consequences for the National Title game.

It would also explain the paucity of information and rumors out there: Not much to leak if things are already done and it's just waiting to be announced.