My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Corch Meyers Steps Down at Florida

Shocking news out of Gainesville... Florida coach Urban Meyer is stepping down as head coach of the Gators for health reasons.

This is breaking news and not much follow-up just yet, but here's the statement released by Florida from Meyer:

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program. I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently Tebow tears don't heal all ailments...

Anonymous said...

Lots of conflicting reports. ESPN commentators claiming that "someone close to the situation says it's not an immediate health concern." But then why include the words "doctors" and "health" in the statement? Also they said that his family's reaction was "We're happy to have our dad back." And then I think back to the dehydration episode after the championship. What gives?

Herschel Blogger said...

David, I've got a writeup with commentary on the situation over at Behind the Columns. check it out!

Matt D said...

That's both great news and bad news. I hope Meyer is ok health wise. Originally I thought he wanted to leave bc his boyfriend was leaving too. You know, his lover Tebow.

Doug said...

The trip to the hospital after the CCG for dehydration smelled, and now it looks like there is more to it.

btw, it's really hard to get so dehydrated that you need to go to the hospital under normal circumstances. A glass of water can start to reverse the problem pretty quick.

Alan said...

David,
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how this may affect our recruiting efforts...

masivatack said...

... and a happy new year!

What... too soon?

Anonymous said...

Hope meyer's health issues work out for him. Never liked him much but don't wish him bad health. Couldn't care if he coaches next year or not, we will kick florida's butt next year with or without him.

Anonymous said...

I didn't much care for him as a person, but there is no question he was one of the top 3 coaches in college football.

For a minute, let's play the high road Dawg fans and give this the amount of respect it deserves. Don't be like the Tech fans who cheered Uga VII's death.

I feel for Urban and his family. Hope he gets better one day (and goes to coach outside the SEC...).

Travis said...

Something odd, thats for sure. Program is due for a complete overhaul though. First they lose Charlie Strong to Louisville, now Urban steps down...

Quoting Urban's speech here...

" I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."

so...declining health has you evaluating faith and family, and not your health?? I'm confused...Something doesn't seem right here. Especially with everyone saying the heart condition isn't as serious as others.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Cincinnati is the unluckiest bowl team in the world.

Anonymous said...

It appears the horse is not out of the barn. Urban Meyer is a drama queen! (And by the way, David. The headline reads "Corch.")