My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thursday Links (9/3)

As a member of the media, I'll admit -- a lot of us suck. I could probably spend a good week-and-a-half talking about the number of "journalists," radio hosts, TV pundits and bloggers that I absolutely lothe professionally (and in some cases, personally). So I'm completely understanding of sports fans who complain about the rampant lack of professionalism within the industry. I get it. I sympathize.

But there are two things I find completely ridiculous that happen far too often:

1.) If someone has an opinion that differs from their own, the other person is an idiot. The level of decorum in this country has really gotten to a bad place.

2.) Those same people continue to listen to/watch/read the people they hate, just so they have an opportunity to talk about how much they hate them. Honestly, is there a bigger waste of time than doing something you know you despise simply so that you can talk about how much you despise it?

Anyway, I got two comments on my post about scheduling yesterday that gave me a good laugh for those very reasons.

The first one...

We play in the sec east and don't have to do that the sec does it for us. Ohio State has to schedule a huge name because the big ten is a little down. And quit whinning about being lied to you've said that in a few articles.

And the second one...

i'll read one more of your articles and if it sucks like this one it will be the last. Do you root for the dawgs?

These were both posted anonymously (shocking, I know) within two minutes of each other, so I'm going out on a limb to assume the same person wrote both.

OK, so let's have a quick tutorial, as a fun aside.

First, no I don't root for the Dawgs. As I said in my first post ever on this site, what I root for is a good story. I'm lucky, however, in that the Dawgs usually do a nice job of providing that, win or lose.

My fundamental theory in covering a team, however, is that while you shouldn't be a fan of the team, you should be a fan of the fans. I don't like or have much respect for writers who go out of their way to alienate their audience or create controversy just for the sake of attention. My goal is to report honestly, objectively and, hopefully, do it in as entertaining and informative a way as possible.

Secondly, if you want to rip me in the comments, I only ask that you put some effort into it. This is lame. You don't like my blog so you're going to stop reading? I honestly don't know how I'll sleep at night now. Seriously, the blog is free. I write what I want, and it doesn't add a dime to my pocket whether you read it or not.

Also, if you're going to take time out of your day to complain about having to read a free blog that, you know, you don't HAVE to read, have the courtesy to at least attach a name to the comment. It doesn't have to even be your name. No one's checking IDs. But come up with something. Obscure references to "Spinal Tap" are appreciated.

Look, if you really want to hurt my feelings, here are a few suggestions:

1.) Find minor typos and point them out regularly. This will gnaw at my perfectionist nature, and while I'll be mad at you for pointing out such trivialities, I'll secretly just be mad at myself for overlooking them in the first place. It's a brilliant psychological move.

2.) Come up with something at least a bit creative. I dunno, maybe tell me how your grandmother has dementia and Parkinson's and still writes more coherently than I do. Put some thought into it.

3.) Remind me that a.) the Cubs spent their offseason dealing players so they could afford to sign Milton Bradley, b.) Andy Reid is the Eagles head coach and will again find a way to throw their season down the toilet at the most gut-wrenching possible moment, or c.) mention the name Greg Paulus.

4.) If there's one thing you can't complain about, it's me complaining. That's like downing a fifth of bourbon and then yelling at me for having a glass of wine. Besides, I do lots of other things more annoying than complaining about a coach lying to me. (Side note: I didn't compain about Richt lying. I complained about him not sticking to the same lie throughout. Much like with Reshad Jones' tackling, I just ask for consistency.)

5.) If you really want to get at me, here's the pefect line: "You're like Georgia's version of Skip Bayless, only with a worse haircut and a flabby physique."

See how much better that is? Come on, folks. The season is upon us. The stakes are high. If you're gonna make mean-spirited anonymous comments on a free blog that is done purely for your enjoyment, you've got to bring your 'A' game.

OK, onto some links that I really hope everyone likes, lest they decide to only come back and read one more time...

-- I have a story in today's Telegraph on the dynamic backfield tandem of Richard Samuel and Carlton Thomas, whose differing styles make game planning for Georgia's rushing attack a difficult task.

The most important question to come from this story, however, is what are we going to call the Samuel-Thomas combo? Do we go with something traditional, like "Thunder and Lightning"? Do we add some pop-culture flair and go with "Shake and Bake"? How about a nod to the youngest of Dawg fans by calling them "Thomas & The Tank Engine"? I think it's essential we get this figured out before Saturday.

-- I didn't post links yesterday, so if you haven't seen my story on the matchup between AJ Green and Dez Bryant, you may consider killing four minutes of your day by reading it.

-- Tim Tucker confirms that our long national nightmare is finally over -- no pregame handshakes for the Bulldogs and Cowboys.

-- All those controversies cropping up in Stillwater seem a little odd to you? Every Day Should Be Saturday has gotten to the bottom of it. This could be the work of only one man...

-- Before you get too nervous about Oklahoma State, check out this hilarious season preview for the Cowboys, provided by a Texas Longhorns blog. (h/t Georgia Sports Blog)

Sure, it's funny. But you know what they say about jokes...

SHEILA: Well, behind every joke there's some truth.
JERRY: What about that Bavarian cream pie joke I told you? There's no truth to that. Nobody with a terminal illness goes from the United States to Europe for a piece of Bavarian cream pie and then when they get there and they don't have it he says " Aw, I'll just have some coffee." There's no truth to that.

-- Hahahahahahahahaha. You'll never guess where the departed Oklahoma State tight end is planning to enroll. (OK, you probably will guess.)

-- Glory, Glory hands out some not-so-traditional preseason awards and I assume that Georgia fans will enjoy their final selection.

-- Hey Jenny Slater has his Oklahoma State preview posted and it's a good one.

-- Larry Munson has some concerns about this trip for the Bulldogs.

-- Bubba N Earl pay tribute to a damn good Dawgs fan.

-- I can't wait to see what the editor in Albany does with Loran Smith's work. I hope Loran knows a lot about Buster Posey.

-- David Pollack was dishing out financial advice -- and some football -- at Georgia yesterday.

-- SI.com has a nice profile on the work Mark Fox is doing to reshape the Georgia hoops program.

-- ESPN's Bruce Feldman ranks OSU defensive coordinator Bill Young's first game against Georgia as one of the top debuts to watch in college football this year.

-- The Oklahoman looks at how the Cowboys' front four will match up against Georgia's stout offensive line. (Don't worry, no quotes from Stacy Searels.)

-- Clifton Geathers has been given the green light to return to South Carolina, but he won't play tonight.

-- Urban Meyer is taking a page from Lane Kiffin's playbook to drum up support for Tim Tebow's Heisman campaign. You know, because it's just tough to really get Tebow's name out there.

-- Ice Cube? ESPN? The LA Raiders? It's amazing to think so much talent could be assembled for one documentary.

-- The house where Bruce Springsteen wrote "Born to Run" is for sale. If only I could tolerate living in New Jersey...

-- Not only is the name of this particular blog great, but this post on the 40 most undeserving Starting Lineup figures of all time is amazing. I must say, however, I take exception with their selection of Kent Oberkfell. I say, if you wear a blue glove to play third base, you're OK in my book.

-- Rolling Stone has a Q&A with Stephen Colbert, who will be the magazine's next coverboy.

-- I think the usual timeline is supposed to go: Get really stoned, then go to KFC. In California, however, they're turning that plan on its head.

-- And finally, who knew Punky Brewster could put Jeff Owens to shame when it comes to getting Twitter followers? (Also, I now know where you can find 1 million people with way too much time on their hands.)

34 comments:

Faulkner said...

You do a great job and we all appreciate the effort. F those clowns if they don't like it.

Art Vandalay said...

David you always do an awesome job with your coverage and your blog, but I really have to know this. Due to your flabby physique, do you prefer the "Bro" or the "Manzere"?

Anonymous said...

Man. Your blog is crap. I can't believe you're not a Dawg fan. I'm telling everyone to boycott this site. (removes tongue from cheek)

JK man. Love the site and I think you do a great job. Keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto...

David Hale said...

I'm a bro man all the way. The manzere just seems so effeminate.

Matt H. said...

David,

I believe your blog is the most comprehensive place to get news on Georgia. Your access combined with your cross references to other sources is the best combo of anywhere on The Internets...

As for reading something you disagree with... Why read anything? You don't learn if you only read things with which you agree...

However, I will say I am getting sick of your compaining (check your reference to Richt)...

Anonymous said...

Wish he would have answered the ohio state schedule question. And he does whine about info from the coaching staff. Good links though. Do think his knowledge of UGA football is limited.

Anonymous said...

was an interesting comment from Richt to say the least, particularly since he spent most of the past few weeks saying the exact opposite. As a reporter, I figure I'll be lied to. I just ask that it's the same lie each time.

Travis said...

David - ESPN just posted (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4440514) story about Orrie Lemon (SR LB for OK ST. being out with torn ACL). I haven't heard any reports other than this, wondering if you have the ability to confirm this as well?

DawgOnTap said...

You're an eejut! Skip Bayless. Greg Paulson.

I keeeee....you da man!

Anonymous said...

www.thedawgbone.com saves you time from having to read this.

Unknown said...

David, I think you do a great job of writing your own stories and linking to other stories regarding the Dawgs. I look forward to checking your blog multiple times daily to see what's new. Keep up the great work. However, you did misspell loathe in the first paragraph. Just had to put it in!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, regardless of your personal preferences (I mean really the Cubs?). It's informative and helps me waste some of my time during the day at work. You obviously wouldn't spend your time doing it if was something that you dreaded. You have to realize that a vast majority of people who read sports blogs/listen to sports radio (me being one of them) are idiots. Like the guy who goes and bets $1,000 on the Seahawks because Cowherd said they're a sure bet. You've heard the old saying "Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one", unfortunately, many people aren't educated to formulate their own and when a sports writer makes a semisubjective comment they lose their brain cell. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can piss enough off to make it interesting. Go Dawgs!
P.S. my name is Jake, and I don't feel like setting up an account.

John said...

Travis - we landed on the moon!!!

DH - Keep it up, incredible job!

Unknown said...

David -
Don't listen to the basement dwelling, mom where's my meatloaf, I have a computer but no job, idiot fringe.

I have enjoyed your blog AND your objectivity! Keep up the quality work.

On a side note, I have a thought...something that (1) would deflect the wrath of UGA fans and (2) would be a great addition to your blog. You could pick 10 or so prominent talking heads (Herbie, etc) and show their picks for each UGA game in the season. True fans could get a feel for the "national" opinion of the Dawgs and the idiot fringe could go leave "nice" comments on their blogs.

IveyLeaguer said...

Thunder & Lightning. I like that.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We need to make sure that Samuel's 'thunder' is sufficient and for real (and I for one am not sure), and Thomas' lightning really works at this level.

Even if they pass the test Saturday, we won't know for sure until they do it against an SEC defense. So we'll know after the USC game.

IMHO, journalistic superlatives relative to any tandem are at risk until then.

~~~

Anonymous said...

"My fundamental theory in covering a team, however, is that while you shouldn't be a fan of the team, you should be a fan of the fans"

That's what we truly appreciate and what separates you from the rest.

By the way, in point 4, you misspelled the first "complain".

DesertDawg said...

the "are you a dawg fan or not" comment is ridiculous. as though only dawg fans can provide good coverage of uga athletics. (i'm looking at you, larry munson.) this blog is fantastic, david -- much appreciated.

F. Costanza said...

DH - But the "bro" is too ethnic.

- Frank

Watson said...

I think some UGA fans have a tough time recognizing views other than their own. It goes back to the "Southern inferiority complex" that some OSU professor talked about earlier in the week in a piece about SEC fans chanting "SEC, SEC" when we beat OOC teams. People need to realize that just because Coach Richt says or does something doesn't mean it's God's word. The man is not always right and I think you do a good job playing devil's advocate in those situations.

I appreciate the amount of time you put into this blog to transcribe all your material. Tons of in depth material I can't get anywhere else other than your newspaper.

And I agree with the above commentator about the basement dwellers. Just ignore their mindless drivel and you'll be much better off. Unfortunately, they're the ones that are actually bringing down UGA's reputation as a "redneck SEC school"

-UGA student

Anonymous said...

Everyone is right about the lame comments yesterday. But I agree with the Ohio State comments. Uga's schedule has been one of the toughest in the country and will stay that way. So how has UGA not accomplished what they set out by adding BCS schools to the schedule? Almost any year if UGA makes it to the Sec championship and win even with one loss will be in the BCS title game. Isn't that the goal? Lets play USC,Tex or Okla etc in the big game. And Hale have you been spending time with Spike or is it the cubs? You seem wound a little tight.

UGA Alumni in Gatorland.

Anonymous said...

Damn going to have to root for the ole ball s??? tonight.

Anonymous said...

Samuel and Thomas combo = Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Keep up the great work David.

Anonymous said...

Yea...I'm sure you hear the negative way more than the positive...that's just the way it goes, but hands-down your blog is one of, if not the best out there.

Thank you!

Taylor said...

What about this for Samuel and Thomas:
Rock and Roll

John Lee said...

David -

I've been reading your blogs since your first day here - and I know you don't pull for the Dawgs - and I can respect that. Anyone that missed that has a problem reading.

Keep up the good work. Yours is my first info source on the Dawgs.

Artie Fufkin said...

Hale, what are you doing to me here? I thought we had a relationship here. I don't know what happened. I feel like a schlub.

David Hale said...

Thanks for the kind words, guys, but I really was only kidding about the comments. I wasn't upset... I just like giving it back to anonymous complainers from time to time. One of my favorite parts of doing this blog has been the ability of commenters to be insightful without being a$$holes, and I'd like to keep it that way. Reading the comments at the AJC is tough just because of all the negativity.

Frank -- You're right. I'm back to manzere.

Matt H -- Good thought, but I'm not sure I'd have the time to track down all the picks. Shouldn't there already be a blog that tracks this stuff if only to make fun of ESPN?

Anon 1:04 -- Yes, I highly recommend Dawgbone

Taylor -- I like Rock N Roll. Let's see if it sticks.

Artie -- what we've had will always be special to me.

And the misspellings were my treat to you guys today!

Paul Finebaum said...

I don't have much respect for writers who go out of their way to alienate their audience or create controversy just for the sake of attention either.

NCDawg said...

Mutt and Jeff

Anonymous said...

Not logged in so I guess this will be "anonymous." Sorry. I have really enjoyed this blog too and definitely want to give credit where credit is due. Nonetheless, the "lied to" comment yesterday took me aback. Honestly, I don't think that's a fair assessment. It's a tough situation for administration and coaches alike. Is some waffling to be expected? Absolutely. Because both is true: "We don't want to play a schedule any tougher than we have to and thus be at a competitive disadvantage." "We want to play a great intra-conference schedule and face teams which aren't patsies--both for national exposure and purely for the fact we want good games for our fans." It's not hard to see how the give-and-take on this issue leaves us all somewhere in the middle, including Coach Richt.

It's like a professor I once had: "Is it this? Or is it this?" he would ask. The answer: "Yes."

"Lied to" is a very strong phrase. I know this is a blog and not a purely "journalistic" endeavor, but those are strong words and a strong accusation--whether stated as "opinion" or "fact."

David Hale said...

Anon -- Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've realized after reading your comment that I probably did a really bad job of representing what I was trying to say.

I didn't mean that Richt's previous statements about the schedule were lies. I was very unclear.

What I meant was: For all of preseason, he'd been saying the team had not changed its approach because of the big opening week opponent. Then Tuesday, he said they had and had begun preparing sooner. It was the exact opposite of what he'd been saying.

I was really unclear about what I thought Richt was being disingenuous about, and I apologize for that. I was tagging him a liar to defend my cause (and in truth, I really don't care that much about the schedule to begin with, but I thought it was an interesting discussion). I was annoyed because Richt really did seem to have done a 180 on his comments about preparation.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply: as I said, I definitely appreciate the work you do... Perhaps I didn't read as carefully as I should, but, as you can tell, it sounded to me as though you were talking about Richt's comments on scheduling.

Also, just as an idea--as if you don't have enough to do already.... Might be great to link us to some John Isner news. I'm going to be following it anyway, but it would be great for many in here to follow up with a great Dog! (As I write this, he's two sets up in round 2 of the US Open....)

Artie Fufkin said...

Hale, so you're pretending the typos were on purpose? Well, how about the split infinitive, and what about the improper use of "onto" vs. "on to"?

I'm sorry. You know what I want you to do? Will you do something for me? Do me a favor. Just kick my a$$, Okay? Enjoy. Come on, I'm not asking, I'm telling you this.