My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Looking Ahead: The 10 Best Moments of 2010

Yesterday, I rated my top 10 plays of the 2009 season. But it's early January, and the retrospective looks at the year that was are about as interesting as a Georgia Tech bowl game. So I figured it was time to quit talking about last year and peer into the future to see what's in store for Georgia fans in 2010.

Having said that (h/t Larry D.) here are my 10 biggest moments for the Georgia Bulldogs next season...

10. Richard Samuel knocks down a last-gasp pass at the goal line against South Carolina. Hey, if Rennie's leaving, someone's gotta take over that job, right?

9. Zach Mettenberger throws three touchdowns against Idaho State. I'm assuming, of course, that Georgia is up by 50 at halftime in this one, and Mett gets his chance to show off his gun against one of the worst teams to set foot in Sanford Stadium in recent years in the second half.

8. Blair Walsh's opening kickoff against Louisiana-Lafayette soars deep into the end zone, followed by many more like it. OK, I'm not totally against directional kicking if the new special teams coach(es) can ensure Georgia knows how to cover it. But regardless, here's to not blowing two games because of kickoff problems. It's a modest and attainable goal for the team.

7. Georgia thrives in Boulder, I survive Boulder. I must say, I had this trip circled on my calendar when I took this job. For one, I'm excited about a trip out to Colorado, which will no doubt be every bit as cool a destination as Arizona State was two years ago. And secondly, for UGA fans, this is shaping up like a game Georgia should win easily. And finally, for me, it's a chance to catch up with my old college roommate, Colin, who lives in Denver now and will no doubt ensure that I need a liver transplant upon my return to Athens.

6. Rambo First Blood: Part Two. Let's hope when Bacarri lays out a big hit against Auburn in 2010, he'll remember it. Also, this gives me a good chance to post this great comment, posted anonymously: "i think a bar in athens should come out with a new mixed drink...the bacardi rambo...I can see the tag lines now "sure to be a hit with the ladies", "nothings given more pop to bacardi since the mojoito", "sure to get you black out drunk"…etc." I'll take two!

5. Richt gets his revenge on Kiffin. OK, I'm taking a big leap here and assuming that Lane will say something this offseason that finally gets under Richt's skin (maybe a crack about his hair?) and Richt finally unleashes the fury when Tennessee comes to town on Oct. 9. And this time, Kiffin won't have Jonathan Crompton to bail him out!

4. Georgia earns redemption against Kentucky and I get to gamble on the ponies. The trip to Lexington comes early in 2010 (Oct. 23 to be precise) which means that a.) the Bulldogs will get a chance to redeem themselves against the Wildcats one week before the Florida game and 2.) I get to head to Keeneland while the horses are still running. Seriously, I'm giddy.

3. Caleb King and Washaun Ealey each go for 200 against Georgia Tech. They have an extra week to prepare this time around, and they've got to do something to top 2009's performance.

2. A healthy A.J. Green hauls in 1,200 yards and 12 TDs. In Year 1, he had to learn the offense and deal with a lingering groin issue. The result was All-SEC honors. In Year 2, he had to deal with an offense in which he was the only legitimate threat for much of the year and injuries that cost him three-and-a-half games. The result was All-SEC honors. Seriously, how can you not be excited to see what this kid can do when the chips aren't stacked against him?

1. Aaron Murray proves he's the best quarterback in the state of Florida. The Tampa native chose Georgia over the Gators, and in Year 1 of the post-Tebow era, he'll give Florida a lesson on what they missed out on, leading the Dawgs to a big win in Jacksonville and causing Urban Meyer to take the rest of the season off to recover. Hey, it could happen.

16 comments:

Kathleen said...

Looking forward to Colorado also!

Some of my Aggie friends who've been out there a lot for games gave me their list of recommended hotels and they were all already booked that weekend. Those of you thinking about it probably need to jump on your hotel plans! (that's my public service announcement)

BulldogBrock said...

I like that attitude! I foresee Murray as the starter as well, even if Hutson Mason and Mettenberger do well in the spring.

Lane said...

Kiante Tripp starts @ Left OF tackle, performs exceptionally!! Seales benches him!!!
Tripp moved back to DL

Lane

TrboDawg said...

I just booked the Best Western Golden Buffalo - http://goldenbufflodge.com/ - it's just one mile from the stadium, all those closer are already booked. We'll be there Thursday night and looking for lots of Red and Black !

Sam said...

David, no need for the liver transplant; it regenerates by itself. You can literally cut it in half, with a good surgeon, and the liver will grow back.

As Norm said from Cheers, "The only thing I want floating in my beer is my liver."

"The liver is the only internal human organ capable of natural regeneration of lost tissue; as little as 25% of a liver can regenerate into a whole liver."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver#Regeneration

Lucid Idiocy said...

After going winless on the grid iron, Georgia tech disbands its athletic department and apologizes to the entire state of Georgia.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to not seeing the words "the Bulldogs must replace Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno" in almost every article about the dawgs.

Ginny said...

David- I was watching the Dawg report last night and one of the questions that was brought up was, of course, who was going to take the QB role next year. Both Kelin Johnson and Ray Goff said they strongly believe Mettenberger will win the job since Aaron Murray has missed so many practices due to injury this fall. I know you're really high on Zach and his canon arm, but this more than surprised me as everyone else seems to think Murray's it. Do you think Zach could surprise in spring practice and land the job?

dawgjammin said...

I'm the authour of the bicardi rambo comment...i'll let everyone know when I perfect the recipe. I see it being a mainstay at my tailgate the next 2-3 years.

As for the "not having crompton to bail him out" post....At the begining of 2009, who would have thought that would be something we would have to look forward to in 2010...No tebow followed closely by no crompton...

That70sGAdawg said...

Ahh, the offseason and hope springs eternal...

blackertai said...

"And this time, Kiffin won't have Jonathan Crompton to bail him out!"

This may be the saddest thing I've read all year. *Sigh* That game was horrible.

dawgjammin said...

Is anyone else worried about Todd Grantham? According to the AJC he's been with 4 diferent teams in the last 10 years.

Lets hope those are promotions and not getting shown the door-motions.

I'd gladly trade #1 on your current list for the Following:
#1 After the National Championship Game, Kirby clicks his crimson red slippers together 3times closes his eyes and says there's no place like home, wakes up in Athens with Bulldog Red slippers on: Kirby Smart returns to his alma mater and immediately changes the tone and tenacity on the defensive side of the ball. Bulldogs finish strong in recruiting and ends up with a top 10 defense heading into a 2011BCS bowl. Boykin, Commings, Hamilton and Rambo form a lethal combination that will haunt SEC Qb's for the next 2years.

Anonymous said...

Yes, dawgjammin! Way to think big.

For real, David, where's the hope? Can't we have a top 10 moment at the Sugar Bowl??

Scott said...

Wow. I never really thought that I would see this sentence in print:

"And this time, Kiffin won't have Jonathan Crompton to bail him out!"

Anonymous said...

I plan on leaving for Colorado on 9/20 after the Arkansas game. We'll get our there early, take in Rocky Mtn National Park (been there in the spring and would like to see it in the fall with color and elk bugling.
Hope to get back in time for the UT game so I can witness Richt's revenge.
Jay

blackertai said...

Personally, I'm pulling for the Georgia boy, Zach! Considering Murray missed a good portion of the season, I don't see why everyone expects him to be as far along right now. It seems the fanbase has for some reason just given the job to Murray. While I like the Georgia boy angle, may the best QB win!