My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stafford, Moreno Say Goodbye

As expected, Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno both announced they would forego their finals seasons of college eligibility Wednesday, opting instead to declare their eligibility for the NFL draft, where they are expected to be first-round selections.

"It's been a lifelong dream to play in the NFL," Moreno said. "It's been a journey. Coming to Athens, it's been like a second home to me. It's been wonderful."

In an amusing moment, Moreno revealed that he had forgotten to actually submit his paperwork to the NFL advisory committee -- which fits well with the notion that he didn't know who Roger Goodell was. As cliched as it sounds, I really believe Moreno really didn't put any thought into where he was going before the season ended.

Stafford, on the other hand, said he had pretty much made up his mind before the bowl game that he was leaving, but taking his uniform off for the final time in Orlando was difficult, causing him to once again wrestle with the decision. But like Moreno, he couldn't pass up the opportunity.

"I'm just extremely excited I got to play here in front of these fans and the people of Athens," Stafford said. "I'm glad I had the chance to wear that 'G' on my helmet and represent it the best I could. I hope for the best."

I'll have full stories on the guys' decisions as well as some info on the future for UGA, and I'll post links here as soon as they're up.

In the meantime, what are you favorite memories of the Stafford and Moreno eras? What do you think the Dawgs are capable of next year without them?

6 comments:

Brian said...

Can anything be read into Asher not participating in the press conference today?

Anonymous said...

The schedule seemingly gets easier next year. Tough road game to start the season, but even that road trip will be manageable. I'm excited to see what kind of 1-2 punch Cox and Gray will have. Caleb hopefully will be much improved with his blocking. Wideouts should be solid with AJ, Moore, Troupe, Durham, etc. O line will be stout with experience and 77 back. Secondary and backers will be solid, but the most improved unit on the team will be the D line with Owens, Toby, Washington, Battle, Geno, Dobbs, Kade, etc. I know it sounds crazy but we could have a really really good season next year.

David Hale said...

Probably not. This was really a moment for Stafford and Moreno to say goodbye, and Asher also told me he expected to take as long as possible to come to a decision.

Anonymous said...

Honestly for me, I will always think about Staff and unreached potential. If he could throw the bomb with touch (and if our receivers could have caught better in '07) it may be different. He just seems incomplete to me. I am totally indifferent.

Knowshon, on the other hand, earned my admiration from his first carry. The way he bounced up and sprinted back to the huddle was awesome! I don't remember all the specifics, but I will always remember him basically willing himself into the end zone. Tech and SC games this year come to mind.

Unknown said...

Knowshon doing the Souljah Boy in the Auburn game..epic.

I'll miss him, I haven't enjoyed watching such an electric player since a certain QB ended up in jail.

I guess I'll have to keep watching him on Sundays, too bad the Falcons don't need a RB.

David Hale said...

The Falcons don't, but my Eagles could definitely use an every-down back like Knowshon and just so happen to have two picks in the first round....